Sunday 31 January 2016

LIFESTYLE TOPIC: MAKEUP AND SHAPING THE EYEBROWS WRITTEN BY: SIS MUMINAAH OLADIPO


Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh lovely sisters,
I am really honored to be part of this and I pray almighty Allah continue to unite us all in Imaan. Aamen. My name is Muminaah Oladipo, a muslimah, wife, mother, sister and a friend to a lot. I live and work in Abuja and I was a make-up artist.


 Alhamdulillah we are Muslims and Islam is such a beautiful religion which has laid down principles on how we should live our daily lives. As Muslims we should always refer to the Quran and Sunnah for guidelines on how we do things. Islam encourages modesty so we should try to be modest in everything we do.
I joined the makeup industry 9 years ago but unfortunately I don’t practice the profession any longer. By the way, doing makeup was an extra source of income so it was easy to stop. While I was practicing the profession I always made it clear to my clients that I don’t pluck eyebrows. This hadith states Islam’s position on it: In al-Saheeh, it was reported that Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Allaah has cursed the women who do tattoos and those who have this done, the women who pluck eyebrows and those who have this done, and the women who file their teeth and change the creation of Allaah.” Ref; [Bukhari and Muslim in the Sahihayn] Then he said: “Should I not curse those whom the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed, when it says in the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning): ‘… And whatsoever the Messenger gives you, take it, and whatever he forbids you, abstain (from it)…’ [Al-Hashr 59:7]”


Gradually with more knowledge of the deen, I understood that Islam encourages women to cover their beauty when leaving their homes. In relation to this, one can deduce that Islam does not encourage Muslim women to leave their homes with makeup. Over time I started to lose interest in doing make up for people because whatever Islam discourages, the rule affects the person doing it and the person having it done, Allahu allam. Though if there are events and I am around close friends and families, I still assist in doing some corrective makeup or tying of the gele (head gear).

 I am still a struggling muslimah like many of us here and totally giving up makeup is quite difficult, I must confess especially when you have that “one event” you want to look extraordinary. But I did give it up when I realized it does not fit in with #myhijabmylifestyle. I pray almighty Allah makes it easy for me and all other struggling sisters.


When I wasn’t using the hijab, I found it weird seeing an hijabi with heavy makeup but when I started using the hijab I realized the aim of many of us who use the hijab and makeup is to look “funky” even with the hijab. In as much as I understand that, we can still look “funky” without heavy makeup.


In makeup school, we were thought different types of makeup. You can apply makeup and still look very natural and beautiful. I will advise my sisters who love makeup and carved eyebrows to learn how to do natural or mild makeup without having to pluck their eye brows in order to avoid the punishment associated with plucking of the eyebrows.


May Almighty Allah make the proper practicing of Islam easy for us all….Aamen

Jazaak Allahu Khairan for Reading.

6 comments:

  1. Wa alaykum salaam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh. Jazakumullahu khairan for this post. Indeed stopping makeup would be a challenge for most. Perhaps, as you have suggested, baby steps through neutral makeup would be welcome before one transcending to outright abandonment. May Allah make it easy, aameen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aameen....Thanks so much for the contribution.*hugs*

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Masha Allah, may. Allah make it easy for us all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aameen....Thanks so much for the contribution.

      Delete
  4. Masha Allah, may. Allah make it easy for us all

    ReplyDelete